One of the most important things to remember before you take a test drive is to not compare the car you're test driving to your old car. Instead, compare the car you're test driving to your wants and needs. You want to purchase a new car that meets your requirements; not limit yourself to the next best car. Before you take a test drive at Mountain View Chevrolet, consider the below checks.
1. Do your research online; know what type of vehicle you want before visiting the dealership. We suggest this because it will save you time and ensure you're analyzing vehicles based on your everyday needs. Consider garage size, towing capacity needs, roof racks for bikes and other everyday lifestyle needs.
2. Observe the car from the outside; don't just jump in and turn the key. You'll want to take in the design features and equipment quality, and make sure it meets your specifications. Is the front end too low? Will it scrape on the ground pulling into work or your driveway?
3. Open all doors: front, back and trunk. Make note of how far they open and how easy they open.
4. Once inside the car, pay attention to interior seating. Make note of comfort levels, control locations and technology features. Are they convenient for your life?
5. Move the drivers' side seat back and forwards. Note the distance from the steering wheel as well as how much leg space you have. This is important to ensure driving comfort and airbag safety.
6. Before you start the engine, turn the key slightly, only to start the battery and not the engine. Check the dash for any engine warning lights. You should see none.
7. Once the engine is started and you're driving, don't limit yourself to just smooth roads. Test drive the vehicle on rougher roads. This will give you an idea of road noise in the cabin and suspension performance.
8. Note any visibility issues with mirrors, how the steering and handling feels, and how well the vehicle brakes and accelerates.
9. Lastly, take time to park the vehicle, so you're certain you won't dread parking it later if you decide to purchase the vehicle.
Why does Mountain View Chevrolet give you all this information? Because we want you to like the vehicle you purchase from us.